Latest Blog Posts
Query Tool vs View/Edit Data
Author: Nikhil Mohitey, date: May 10, 2022
Ever wondered what the differences are between the Query Tool and View/Edit Data tool in pgAdmin? In this blog Nikhil explains those differences and when each tool should be used.
How to Configure OAuth 2.0 with Azure AD in pgAdmin4
Author: Asmita Thapliyal, date: April 29, 2022
pgAdmin user Asmita Thapliyal writes:
I struggled for few days to get OAuth 2.0 configuration works for Azure AD in pgAdmin4, which leads me to writing this blog post.
We were looking for a hosted web interface for running SELECT queries in AWS Aurora database from on premise environment. This interface would allow developers for database interaction and to perform initial troubleshooting without sharing the database credentials and whitelisting the connection from their laptops and vms.
Use of the Master Password in pgAdmin 4
Author: Akshay Joshi, date: April 22, 2022
pgAdmin 4 introduced the Master Password in order to secure and later unlock saved server passwords. Any password that is saved in the SQLite DB file - used for storing user preferences and other data - through the save password or save SSH tunnel password option will be encrypted and decrypted using the master password.
The feature was introduced in pgAdmin 4 version 4.7 and above. This is applicable to Desktop mode users as well as to authentication methods like OAuth, Kerberos, or Web Server where pgAdmin doesn’t have access to anything long-lived to form the encryption key whereas with pgAdmin internal or LDAP authentication methods, the user’s login password is used as an encryption key.
2022-05-12 - pgAdmin 4 v6.9 Released
The pgAdmin Development Team is pleased to announce pgAdmin 4 version 6.9. This release of pgAdmin 4 includes 29 bug fixes and new features. For more details please see the release notes.
Notable changes in this release include:
- Port query tool to React.
- Added options 'Ignore owner' and 'Ignore whitespace' to the schema diff panel.
- Added capability to deploy PostgreSQL servers on EDB BigAnimal.
- Added status bar to the Query Tool.
- Ensure that row numbers should be visible in view when scrolling horizontally.
- Relocate GIS Viewer Button to the Left Side of the Results Table.
- Added support for Azure AD OAUTH2 authentication.
This feature is a major revamp to the query tool in terms of the GUI. Some other related features have also been added to this. Some major enhancements are adding a status bar, toolbar buttons shown on the respective panels, fixing the headers of the slick grid, and many more.
This feature introduces the ‘ignore owner’ and ‘ignore whitespace’ options on the schema diff panel itself to provide the ease to the users to change the setting and compare the databases or schemas.
This feature allows the users to deploy the PostgreSQL and EDB Advanced Server on the EDB BigAnimal Cloud.
- Only set permissions on the storage directory upon creation.
- Improvement to the Geometry Viewer popup to change the size of the result tables when column names are quite long.
- Fixed an issue where the downloaded ERD diagram was 0 bytes.
- Don't strip binaries when packaging them in the server RPM as this might break cpython modules.
- Ensure that Columns should always be visible in the import/export dialog.
- Fixed an issue where the copy and paste row does not work if the first column contains no data.
- Fixed an issue where the Browser panel is not completely viewable.
- Fixed sorting issue in the statistics panel.
- Ensure that sorting should be preserved on refresh for Server Activity.
- Fixed an issue where the drag and drop table in ERD throws an error.
Download your copy now!
2018-07-12 - pgAgent v4.0.0 Released
The pgAdmin Development Team are pleased to announce the release of pgAgent v4.0.0.
pgAgent is a job scheduler for PostgreSQL; for more information please see the documentation included as part of the pgAdmin documentation at https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/3.x/pgagent.html.
Download (source): https://www.pgadmin.org/download/pgagent-source-code/
We expect DEB and RPM packages to be available from the PostgreSQL APT/YUM repositories in due course, as well as an updated installer from EnterpriseDB available through StackBuilder.
Notable changes in this release include:
- Remove the dependency on wxWidgets. pgAgent now uses Boost for thread management and synchronisation [Neel Patel]
- Refactor connection parsing logic to fix issues with and improve handling of connection strings [Thomas Krennwallner]
- Handle 2 digit server version numbers [Ashesh Vashi]
- Fix handling of the "succeeded" flag on job steps which could prevent failure of steps causing the following steps to fail [Sanket Mehta]
Postgres, PostgreSQL and the Slonik Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of the PostgreSQL Community Association of Canada, and used with their permission.