The pgAdmin 4 Client¶
pgAdmin 4 supports all PostgreSQL features, from writing simple SQL queries to developing complex databases. It is designed to query an active database (in real-time), allowing you to stay current with modifications and implementations.
Features of pgAdmin 4 include:
- auto-detection and support for objects discovered at run-time
- a live SQL query tool with direct data editing
- support for administrative queries
- a syntax-highlighting SQL editor
- redesigned graphical interfaces
- powerful management dialogs and tools for common tasks
- responsive, context-sensitive behavior
- supportive error messages
- helpful hints
- online help and information about using pgAdmin dialogs and tools.
When pgAdmin opens, the interface features a menu bar and a window divided into two panes: the Browser tree control in the left pane, and a tabbed browser in the right pane.
Select an icon from the Quick Links panel on the Dashboard tab to:
- Click the Add New Server button to open the Create - Server dialog to add a new server definition.
- Click the Configure pgAdmin button to open the Preferences dialog to customize your pgAdmin client.
Links in the Getting Started panel open a new browser tab that provide useful information for Postgres users:
- Click the PostgreSQL Documentation link to navigate to the Documentation page for the PostgreSQL open-source project; once at the project site, you can review the manuals for the currently supported versions of the PostgreSQL server.
- Click the pgAdmin Website link to navigate to the pgAdmin project website. The pgAdmin site features news about recent pgAdmin releases and other project information.
- Click the Planet PostgreSQL link to navigate to the blog aggregator for Postgres related blogs.
- Click the Community Support link to navigate to the Community page at the PostgreSQL open-source project site; this page provides information about obtaining support for PostgreSQL features.